By Layla Dahamou
Morocco World News
Taroudant- Dec 09, 2012
Bstilla is undoubtedly one of the ultimate manifestations of beauty, refinement and delicacy of Moroccan cuisine. It is prepared for great dinners and wedding ceremonies. Usually, it is served after small plates of fresh salads and before the Tagine with meat.
There are many famous forms of Bstilla like chicken and ground meat -based Bstillas, but this time I would like to present to you another kind of Bstilla prepared with seafood. The following recipe will take you through easy steps to enjoy one of the most delicate and mouthwatering authentic Moroccan dishes.
700g of peeled shrimp.
600g of squid
600g of whiting fish or any type of white fish.
2 or 3 bay leaves.
2 or 3 cloves of garlic.
A bag of Chinese noodles (vermicelli).
½ cup of the oil.
2 tablespoons of butter (100 grams).
Tablespoons chopped parsley.
Pack chopped mushroom cut into pieces.
1 pickled lemon.
50 g olive cut into pieces.
1 tablespoon tomato paste.
1 tsp salt.
1 tsp cumin.
1 tsp ginger.
½ tsp of turmeric.
½ tsp black pepper .
1 tsp of hot sauce.
500 g fine pastry layers (you can make them at home or get the readymade in the market)
Way of preparation:
1. Clean whiting fish well and steam it or boil it in salty water to remove the scales easily.
2. Clean squid with warm water well and cut it into rings then put in a pot with spices, bay leaves, garlic oil and ½ cup of water and cook until water is evaporated.
3. Clean shrimp and grill in a pan with 2 tbsp of butter.
4. Put the noodles in hot salty water for 5 to 10 minutes then drain them and cut them to small pieces.
5. Add, whiting fish, shrimp to Squid then mix well.
6. In a bowl, put the noodles, mushrooms, olives; tomato sauce, parsley, hot sauce and pickled lemon then mix well.
7. Grease the round mold with butter.
8. On the bottom of the dish, place 5 sheets of Bstilla well greased with butter (butter side up) in the overlapping like the petals of a flower and leaving the overflow to the outside edges of the dish (about half of the sheet inside the flat, the other half to the outside).
9. Place layers in a mold.
10. Consolidate the bottom of the Bstilla with 1 or 2 more sheets placed in the centre of the mold.
11. Put the mixture of the noodles on the sheets using the back of a spoon to spread it perfectly.
12. Put the mixture of seafood over the entire surface of the noodles in order to completely cover the mold.
13. Add another sheet of pastry on top then fold those layers of the Bstilla.
14. Arrange 3 new sheets on top in an overlapping to close it firmly.
Once the Btilla is closed, spread the yolk of an egg on the top.
15. Put the Bstilla in the oven preheated to about 45 minutes (more or less depending on oven). Bstilla should be golden brown on its entire surface, the sides and bottom. It has to be crispy.
Put some ground cheese and circles of lemon on the top and serve it hot.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed