August 29, 2011(AlJazeera)
August 29, 2011(AlJazeera)
Muammar Gaddafi’s second wife, two of his sons and his daughters have entered Algeria, according to the Algerian foreign ministry.
“The wife of Muammar Gaddafi, Safia, his daughter Aisha, and sons Hannibal and Mohammed, accompanied by their children, entered Algeria at 08:45am local time [0745GMT] through the Algeria-Libyan border,” the ministry said in a statement on Monday published by the APS news agency.
However, it gave no information on the toppled Libyan leader, whose whereabouts has remained a mystery since rebels seized control of Tripoli, the Libyan capital, last week.
It said their arrival had been reported to the United Nations and the Libyan rebel authorities.
Ahmed Bani, military spokesman of the council, said he was unsurprised to hear Algeria had welcomed Gaddafi relatives.
Throughout the six-month Libyan uprising, rebels have accused Algeria of providing Gaddafi with mercenaries to curb the revolution.
Al Jazeera’s Anita McNaught, reporting on these developments from Tripoli, said: “There have been rumours over the last few days that said the family members had gone and that Gaddafi himself may have gone.”
“This was denied by Algerian authorities some days ago. But there is no smoke without fire. We don’t know where Gaddafi himself is, but we know these family members are in Algeria.
“The Algerian government has always got on really well with the Gaddafi regime. Algeria is one of the few countries that has not yet recognised the NTC.”
Earlier, the Egyptian news agency MENA, quoting unidentified rebel fighters, had reported that six armoured Mercedes sedans, possibly carrying Gaddafi’s sons or other top regime figures, had crossed the border at the southwestern Libyan town of Ghadamis into Algeria.
Algeria’s foreign ministry had denied that report.
ICC warrant against Khamis?
Meanwhile, Khamis Gaddafi, one of the sons of Gaddafi, whose military unit is accused of killing dozens of detainees in Tripoli, may be placed on the war crimes court’s most wanted list, the prosecutor told Reuters on Monday.
The Hague-based International Criminal Court [ICC] has already approved warrants for the arrest of Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam, and Libyan intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi on charges of crimes against humanity.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the ICC prosecutor, said he may also apply for an arrest warrant for Gaddafi’s son Khamis, after Human Rights Watch said members of the Khamis Brigade, a force commanded by him, appeared to have carried out summary executions of detainees whose bodies were found in a warehouse in Tripoli.
“We know Khamis should also be prosecuted because he was the commander of the brigade that was more active on some of the crimes,” Moreno-Ocampo said.
Moreno-Ocampo said a UN Human Rights Council commission would conduct further investigations on the ground in Libya soon and that he would base his decisions on the results.