By Loubna Flah
By Loubna Flah
Morocco World News
Casablanca, June 17, 2012
The Cherifian Office of Phosphates (Office Cherifian des Phosphates OCP)) announced its partnership with “Turus Tarem”, a leading Turkish firm in the manufacturing of fertilizers. The partnership aims at establishing a new company under the name” The Black Sea Company for fertilizers Trade”. The OCP is a major shareholder in this new company with 70% of a share of stocks while the Turkish firm detains the remaining 30%.
According to the daily Al Massae, the Black Sea Company for fertilizers Trade” will negotiate the trade of fertilizers in the Balkans and central Asia. The OCP new strategy capitalizes on investment in emerging markets in partnership with leading firms in the area of fertilizers, such as the Turkish firm Turus Tarem which has been a long time partner for the OCP.
Mr. Mohammed Benabd Al Jalil, the OCP executive manager in charge of Trade, asserted that this partnership is susceptible to consolidate the OCP contribution in developing agriculture and ensuring a better food security in the region. He adds that the partnership with the Turkish firm will enhance the OCP delivery capacity, taking advantage of Turkey’s strategic position at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. The OCP and the Turkish firm Turus Tarem will operate jointly to meet the needs for fertilizers in the Balkans and central Asia emerging markets.
Ms. Izen Miti, the Turus Tarem CEO, expressed the firm’s resolve to enhance its leadership and competitiveness in the market by providing a reliable influx of raw materials to its potential customers. She adds that the OCP remains a leading exporter of Phosphates in the international market and that the current partnership is based on mutual trust. The partnership with the Turkish firm will upgrade the OCP’s exporting capacity in the international market through the development of its products.
The OCP is a state-owned company created in 1920. It is the world’s biggest exporter of phosphates and derivatives. The company is responsible for the production and sale of Moroccan phosphate resources, extracted from Benguérir, Khouribga, Youssoufia deposits, in central Morocco, totaling 85 billion cubic meters of reserves, and Foss Boucraa, in southern Morocco, with about 1 billion cubic meters.
© 2012 Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved