by Jamal Saidi
by Jamal Saidi
Morocco World News
Casablanca, Morocco, July 16, 2012
Hassan Elkhettab, a Salafist detainee, has written his “will” as he is allegedly on the verge of death due to a hunger strike, the daily “Assabah” reported last week. The letters were mainly addressed to the Islamic movement and the head of the government. He said that he prefers death to living without dignity and freedom, hoping that his end would be “a step towards the release of all oppressed Islamist detainees.”
Elkhettab urged the state to treat the Salfi trend in a way that is similar to the west’s current tendency, the willingness to deal with the Islamists in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. “Torture has become an approach and a policy that represents the state. It is no longer an individual or a group’s mistake,” he added. He said that all the attempts for dialogue failed and the Salfist initiatives are treated in a stereotypical and dogmatic manner. “In your presidency, the Islamists are whipped and their dignity is violated,” said El Khattab while addressing the head of the government.
He also called the Islamist movements to put an end to its boycott tendency towards the governmental institutions, as they are property of the people not that of the regime.
Hassan Elkhattab was arrested during the terrorist attack of May 16, 2003. He was sentenced to two years due to his alleged membership in a terrorist cell in Sale city. A year after his release, he was re-arrested in relation to dismantling the group of “Almahdi Partisans” that was held responsible by the Moroccan security services for planning terrorist operations through attracting some military individuals, raising funds and establishing training camps, charges for which he should serve 30 years in jail.