ALGIERS, Sept 1, 2012 (AFP) -
ALGIERS, Sept 1, 2012 (AFP) –
A probe has found that toxic fumes were to blame for the deaths of nine people, including six members of the same family, in a well in eastern Algeria, the country’s APS news agency reported on
Police investigators said the well in Ali Mendjeli near the city of Constantine had been dug with no ventilation system or other security measures.
The first victim of Friday’s tragedy climbed down to clean the well but was asphyxiated by fumes from a pump. Four of his brothers, a cousin and a neighbour also died trying to rescue him, along with two rescue workers, APS reported.
A younger brother was rescued alive and hospitalised along with four of the rescue team, it said.