By Layla Dahamou
By Layla Dahamou
Morocco World News
Taroudant, September 25, 2012
Couscous Tfaya is a kind of many varied Moroccan Couscous dishes. Unlike the well known seven vegetable Moroccan couscous, Tfaya is basically made of dried fruits and onions. It is a mouth watering dish that let your taste lost between incredibly sweet honeyed raisins and cinnamon mixed with light salty and spicy ingredients.
Since it doesn’t need too much vegetables, many Moroccan families serve it during ceremonies and whenever they have many guests to feed. The process to prepare Tfaya couscous is somehow similar to the method used in the original Couscous with vegetables, yet the preparation of the sauce is slightly different.
1 kg meat (lamb or chicken)
1 kg couscous.
1 kg onions.
1 cup chickpeas soaked in water before.
200g raisins soaked in water for 15 minutes.
50g granulated sugar.
1 tsp cinnamon.
2 tsp salt.
1 tsp ginger.
½ tsp black pepper.
½ tsp turmeric.
some saffron stamens.
¼ cup of oil.
2 tbsp butter.
2 liters of water.
Way of preparation:
- Place meat, 2 onions cut into slices, oil and spices ( salt, black pepper, ginger and saffron) in the pot and cook them for a while till the color of onions turn yellow.
- Add chickpeas, water and cover then let boil and cook.
- Cut 1 kg of onions into thin slices and place them in a pan.
- Add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter, stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add raisins, turmeric, ¼ tsp salt, cinnamon, ½ cup of water and cook for 20 minutes then stir from time to time. Add sugar and let it boil till the onions and raisins are soft and caramelized.
- Place couscous in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 litre of salted water and separate the grains by gently rubbing them between your palms and add two tablespoons of oil.
- Place couscous inside the steamer and put it on the boiling pot. The steam should escape only from the top.
- As soon as the steam comes out, remove the couscous, put it in a large bowl, and separate the grains again by rubbing them gently between your palms or crushing them with a ladle.
- Sprinkle 2/3 ladles of lightly cold water, separate the grains and let stand 15 minutes. Return the couscous into the steamer to steam again for about half an hour.
- Repeat the above operation, but this time by replacing water with olive oil and 1 tsp of butter, and let couscous on the steamer till the steam comes out again, then it is ready!
- Place couscous in a large dish, and place meat in the center with the onions and chickpeas and sauce till it is soaked enough.
- Place onions and raisins decoratively on the top of couscous and sides and some fried almonds (optional)
- Serve hot!!
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed