Rabat - The African Confederation of Football (CAF) announced the preliminary list for the continent’s best football player for 2012.
Rabat – The African Confederation of Football (CAF) announced the preliminary list for the continent’s best football player for 2012.
CAF based its selection on the performances of the players both with their respective clubs and their national teams.
Moroccan players, Abdelaziz Berrada (Getafe) and Younis Belhanda (Montpellier, France), Adel Taarabt (Queens Bardek Raingerz, England) are competing for the African Golden Ball award for the 2012 season along with 31 other players from the continent.
The list of candidates consists of 34 players, including Cameroon’s Alex Song, the Tunisians Ayman Abdel Nour and Yousuf Msakni, Ivory Cost’s Aruna Kone, Sheikh Tioti, Didier Drogba, and Yaya Toure and the Algerian Sofiane Feghouli.
The winner of this award, which is annually bestowed by the African Confederation to the best player of the continent, will be officially announced on December 20 during a ceremony that will be held in the Ghanaian capital Accra.
The award for best African player of the year, previously known as the African Golden Ball was brought into existence for the first time in 1970 by the French magazine France Football until 1994, when the African Confederation of Football (CAF) took over the award organization.
The list of candidates is a follows:
- Abdelaziz Barrada, Getafe (Morocco)
- Adel Taarabt, Queens Park Rangers (Morocco)
- Younes Belhanda, Montpelier (Morocco)
- Alain Sibiri Traore, FC Lorient (Burkina Faso)
- Alexander Song, Barcelona (Cameroon)
- Andre Ayew, Marseille (Ghana)
- Arouna Kone, Wigan (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Aymen Abdennour, Toulouse (Tunisia)
- Bakaye Traoré, A.C Milan (Mali)
- Sheikh Ismael Tioté, Newcastle United (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Christopher Katongo, Henan Construction (Zambia)
- Demba Ba, Sèvres (Senegal)
- Didier Drogba, Shanghai Shenhua (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu, Udinese (Ghana)
- Emmanuel Mayuka, Southampton (Zambia)
- Foxi Kethevoama, FC Astana (Central Africa)
- Gervais Lombe, Yao Kouassi, Arsenal (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Hilaire Roméo, Verdi Momi Le Mans (Central Africa)
- John Obi Mikel, Chelsea (Nigeria)
- John Utaka, Montpellier (Nigeria)
- Kwadwo Asamoah, Juventus (Ghana)
- Moussa Sow, Fenerbahçe (Senegal)
- Nicolas N’koulou, Marseille (Cameroon)
- Papiss Demba Cissé, Newcastle United (Senegal)
- Pape Moussa Konaté, FC Krasnodar (Senegal)
- Pierre-Emerick, Aubameyang, Laval (Gabon)
- Rainford Kalaba, TP Mazembe (Zambia)
- Seydou Doumbia, CSKA Moscow (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Seydou Keita, Dalian Aerbin (Mali)
- Sofiane Feghouli, Almeria (Algeria)
- Stoppila Sunzu, TP Mazembe (Zambia)
- Victor Moses, Chelsea (Nigeria)
- Yaya Toure, Manchester City (Cote d’Ivoire)
- Youssef Msakni, Esperance (Tunisia)