by Stephen Collinson
by Stephen Collinson
WASHINGTON, Oct 12, 2012 (AFP)
The White House Friday struggled to combat a growing storm over the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, whipped up by Mitt Romney at a fateful moment for President Barack Obama’s re-election bid.
The latest exchanges battered an administration repeatedly thrown onto the defensive by the political reverberations of the attack on September 11 which killed US ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
White House spokesman Jay Carney was forced to clarify remarks by Vice President Joe Biden which appeared to contradict evidence that US officials refused extra security for US posts in Libya prior to the Benghazi assault.
“The vice president was speaking about himself and the president and the White House. Obviously he wasn’t talking (about) the administration writ large,” Carney said, when besieged by Libya questions at his daily briefing.
Biden said in his campaign debate on Thursday with Republican Paul Ryan that “we weren’t told they wanted more security.”
Carney said the vice president was aware of testimony by US security officials at a congressional hearing on Wednesday that extra protection for the posts had been requested and then denied.
“Nowhere in those four hours of testimony was it suggested that those requests were made essentially to the White House because that is not how this works,” Carney said.
The lack of a direct tie so far between Obama and the security situation at the Benghazi post gives the White House a plausible defense, but has not stopped fierce Republican efforts to make the president pay a political price.
Protection issues related to Libya diplomatic posts and elsewhere were dealt with in the appropriate place — at the State Department — and not at the White House, Carney said.
He also insisted that there was “no actionable” intelligence suggesting that a fierce attack by heavily-armed men, including some with possible links to Al-Qaeda, was imminent on the consulate.
The latest developments would be a headache at any time for the White House, but are especially nettlesome given Obama’s looming date with voters on November 6.
Romney, seeking to splinter Obama’s standing as a competent and muscular commander-in-chief, took a fresh shot at the Libya drama on Friday, seizing on Biden’s remarks.
“He’s doubling down on denial,” Romney said during a campaign stop in Virginia.
“When the Vice President of the United States directly contradicts the testimony-sworn testimony-of State Department officials, American citizens have a right to know just what’s going on.”
The Obama campaign hit back, again accusing Romney of politicizing a national security crisis, with spokeswoman Lis Smith saying “the American people deserve more from someone who wants to be Commander-in-Chief.”
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also rode into the fray Friday amid Republican claims the administration was too slow to brand the attack as terrorism and has frequently changed its story on what happened.
“To this day, to this day … we do not have a complete picture, we do not have all the answers” Clinton said.
“No-one in this administration has ever claimed otherwise. Every one of us has made clear that we are providing the best information we have at that time,” Clinton added.
She also defended US ambassador to the UN Susan Rice who had said on the Sunday after the attack that it appeared to be a “spontaneous” protest over an anti-Muslim film made on US soil and posted on YouTube.
Subsequent evidence have suggested there was no major protest outside the consulate, and that the plot was planned by local militants, possibly with help from several outside extremists.
Clinton said that Rice was acting on the same intelligence assessments that every other government official had at the time.
“We can only tell you what we know based on our most current understanding of the attack, and what led up to it. Obviously we will know more as time goes by. And we will know even more than we did hours and days after the attack.”
Two US officials testified on Wednesday that requests for extra support for US posts in Tripoli and Benghazi had been refused.
“It was abundantly clear: We were not going to get resources until the aftermath of an incident,” regional security officer Eric Nordstrom told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing.
Nordstrom said he sought to bolster security by asking for 12 more agents, but was told by a State Department regional director that he was asking for the “sun, moon and the stars.”