Fes – Kebab, Meshwi, Shwa, Boulfaf are all different names denoting meat in skewers cooked over charcoal fire or electric barbecue grill.
Grilled meat is a prestigious Moroccan dish that is prepared for special guests or in ceremonies mainly “Eid Al Adha” because every family has to slaughter a lamb as a religious ritual, and all the families have enough meat to prepare kebabs. Traditionally, kebab is only prepared by red meat, heart or liver, but it can be prepared also by turkey or any other meats.
During the days of Eid Al Adha, all the Moroccan families prepare Meshwi and Kebab mostly for lunch, in a lively familial atmosphere. For this reason, at the eve of Eid, Moroccan families buy barbecue grills and more skewers so that no one would miss this delicious dish.
These two recipes will take you in easy and simple structures to enjoy the Moroccan way of preparing grilled meat, willingly to share some of these moments of festivity in Morocco.
Barbecue grill (you may use an electric barbecue grill) and skewers.
1kg lamb meat cut into cubes.
3 tbsp chopped parsley and coriander.
1 chopped onion.
½ tsp black pepper.
Way of preparation:
1. In a bowl mix all the ingredients together and let rest for an hour or more.
2. Insert the skewers through the meat cubes.
3. Grill the skewers on the coal until the meat is cooked.
4. Serve hot with some more cumin and salt, bread and Moroccan tea.
2 Sheep’s liver Kebab
1 kg Sheep’s liver.
Large sheep’s lace fat.
2 tsp cumin.
1 tsp black pepper.
Way of preparation:
1. Clean the liver and grill it on the coal on each side or boil it in water for 10 minutes (until it is half-cooked).
2. Cut the liver into cubes and mix them with spices.
3. Cut the sheep’s lace fat into strips, enough to wrap the liver cubes.
4. Wrap the cubes with the strips and insert the skewers through them (each skewer can hold up to six liver cubes rapped in fat)
5. Grill the skewers on hot coal until the fat is nearly gone and the liver-cubes look greasy.
6. Serve hot with extra spices and Moroccan tea.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed