Kouraine is one of the weirdest foods to try if you visit the country. It is a delicious dish prepared by the legs of cow, lamb or goat and chickpeas.
Fes – In Morocco, the lamb is fully exploited and probably nothing is wasted because Moroccan cuisine is very rich and nearly all the parts of the lamb are used for sweet and unique Moroccan dishes.
kouraine is a Moroccan dish par excellence which is prepared with the legs of cow, lamb or goat and chickpeas. Some people prefer to add raisins to the recipe to give it a distinguished sweet flavor. Kouraine is prepared often, but during the days of Eid Al Adha Moroccan families have to prepare it with the legs of their slaughtered lamb as a very special meal.
This recipe will lead you in simple and easy method to prepare Kouraine in very Moroccan way.
6 lamb legs.
250g chickpeas soaked.
1 tbsp butter or ghee.
¼ cup olive oil.
Few saffron stamens.
1 tsp turmeric.
1 tsp paprika.
1 tbsp ginger.
6 chopped cloves of garlic.
2 tsp salt.
2 liters water.
Way of preparation:
1. The legs have to be charred over coals to remove the fur, and then clean them well before use.
2. In a pressure cooker put Kouraine, oil, spices, garlic, butter and mix then add water and cover the cooker.
3. Let cook for an hour and 15 minutes, then open the cooker and add soaked chickpeas.
4. Cover the cooker again and let cook for 45 minutes or more until Kour3ine and chickpeas are well cooked.
5. Open the cooker and let it over low heat until the sauce is thick.
6. In a plate serve the dish with some hot peppers and bread.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed