by Layla Dahamou
by Layla Dahamou
Morocco World News
Taroudant- Nov 27, 2012
Baddaz is a kind of many varied Moroccan Couscous dishes. Unlike the well known seven vegetable Moroccan couscous, Baddaz is prepared with corn flour instead of semolina. Nearly all Moroccans prepare it though giving it different names. Some people call it “Baddaz”, others know it by the name “Belboul” but Berbers, in particular those of the south east, call it “Afdouz” and it is one of their best dishes. It is also cooked over a steamer even though the process and steps are slightly different to the well known Moroccan couscous. It may take some considerable time, but this recipe will take you through easy and different steps to prepare your own dish for your family, and to enjoy the ultimate delicious taste of the secrets of Moroccan cuisine.
500g corn flour.
some Gaddid (dry meat soaked in water the night before) you may use fresh meat
250 g pumpkin.
500g fava beans.
2 peeled and seeded tomatoes.
2 hot peppers.
Some salt. ( Gaddid is salty)
1 tsp black pepper.
1 tsp cumin.
1 tsp turmeric.
1 tsp ginger.
¼ cup oil.
¼ cup olive oil.
Way of preparation:
- Drain Gaddid and wash it well with warm water.
- In a couscous pot, place meat, onions, oil and spices and cook them for a while till the colour of onions turns yellow.
- Add washed vegetables (cut lengthwise) and add water (enough to cover the vegetables). (Zucchini and pumpkin may be added later since they don’t take a long time to be cooked.
- Place the cornmeal in a big bowl, add salt and sprinkle ¼ liter of water and rub well with hands like you do in kneading until the flour is wet.
- Pass the wet flour on a sieve so as to get rid of big balls that are made by rubbing.
- Place Baddaz inside the steamer and put it on the boiling pot. The steam should escape only from the top. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Put Baddaz again in the bowl, sprinkle ½ cup of water, olive oil and rub a little bit then return it to the steamer and let cook for an hour.
- When it is cooked, Place it in a large dish and quickly add sauce and place meat in the center then put the vegetables decoratively on the top. Add sauce till it is soaked enough. (Baddaz needs a lot of sauce)
- Cover and let stand about 15 minutes, Baddaz will absorb the sauce then serve it hot with an extra bowl of sauce.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed