There are plenty of Moroccan salads, some with raw vegetables while others are cooked like Zaalouk and served either cold or hot.
Rabat – Most of Moroccan salads are raw and spicy with vinegar sprinkled over.
Rice salad with vegetables, known in Morocco as “Jerda” meaning garden, is an exception because it mixes raw and cooked vegetables presented in an appealing form just like a beautiful garden in spring.
In addition to rice and tuna which constitute the essential elements of this salad, Moroccans add eggs, olives and maize to make the salad a rich plate and give it an irresistible taste.
Salads are usually served along the main dish, yet “Jerda” is often served before the main dish which is most of the time tagine of meat and prunes or Chicken.
Because it is spring time, it is easy to find nearly all the vegetables you need at the market to furnish your table with this wonderful salad and do your family or beloved guest a great favor to taste all the vegetables of the season in one plate.
3 beet roots.
200 g green beans
2 boiled eggs.
Some lemon juice.
Way of preparation:
- Boil rice in salty water then drain it and let it cool.
- Add maize, tuna and some oil then mix well.
- Boil beet root, carrots, peas and potatoes.
- Drain these vegetables from water then cut them into small cubes (or any desired shapes).
- Add lemon juice, oil and salt to beet root.
- Boil green beans and add some salt and black pepper.
- Add mayonnaise, salt, oil and black pepper to carrots and potatoes.
- Clean lettuce and put them on the sides of a large plate.
- Put rice into a bowl and turn it upside down into the middle of the plate, to form a ball in the middle.
- Place the vegetables decoratively in the plate, too (the way you want.)
- Put boiled eggs on the top.
- You can add any other vegetables you like; also you can add some olives and pickled cucumber for garnish.
- Put the salad in the refrigerator to cool before serving.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed