CAIRO – Morsi – Egypt's first freely elected leader – was removed from power by military following massive, well-coordinated demonstrations against his presidency that began on June 30
CAIRO – Morsi – Egypt’s first freely elected leader – was removed from power by military following massive, well-coordinated demonstrations against his presidency that began on June 30
Activists have launched a petition drive aimed at gathering the signatures of 30 million Egyptian citizens opposed to the July 3 “military coup” against elected president Mohamed Morsi.
Abdel-Rahman Mansour, the 21-year-old founder of the ‘Batel’ (‘invalid’) campaign, told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday that organizers “hope to collect 30 million signatures of Egyptians opposed to the July 3 decision.”
It also aims, he added, “to prepare for January 25 [which will mark the third anniversary of the uprising that ousted autocratic president Hosni Mubarak] in Tahrir Square to demand a return to [Egypt’s] pre-June 30 status.”
Morsi – Egypt’s first freely elected leader – was removed from power by the military following massive, well-coordinated demonstrations against his presidency that began on June 30.
The unconstitutional change of government is described by the ousted president’s backers as a “military coup,” while supporters of the move call it a military-backed “popular uprising.”
Mansour, a university student, voiced confidence that the campaign would succeed in reaching its target by the end of the year.
“We will present the signatures to [Egypt’s] constitutional court even though we know the court will reject them and even question their authenticity,” he said.
If this happens, the campaigner threatened to “escalate” on the international level, without elaborating further.
Mansour insisted that the petition drive was not intended to “defend” Morsi, who hails from Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood.
“We just don’t recognize the coup,” he said. “That’s why we’re calling for Morsi’s reinstatement, after which a referendum could be held on whether or not to keep him in power.”
Mansour went on to say that no campaign members had been subject to harassment by Egypt’s security apparatus.
“No one has been arrested,” he said.
However, he accused members of Egypt’s Tamarod movement, which had spearheaded this summer’s anti-Morsi protests, of attacking campaign members in the coastal city of Alexandria.
Tamarod spokespeople could not be reached for comment.