Rabat - The Moroccan National Federation of Bakery and Pastry (FNBPM) announced on Friday a national baker strike scheduled for next Wednesday andThursday in the kingdom.
Rabat – The Moroccan National Federation of Bakery and Pastry (FNBPM) announced on Friday a national baker strike scheduled for next Wednesday andThursday in the kingdom.
This decision was made in a meeting organized by the professional association last Thursday in Casablanca.
No bread for any Moroccan cities on Wednesday and Thursday as bakers will go on strike to protest the government’s refusal to allow bread prices to rise.
According to Risalat Al Ouma newspaper, FNBPM is going on a national two-day strike against the government, which refused to activate clauses of a contract-program between the federation and Abbas El Fassi’s government.
FNBPM president El Houcine Azaz said that this nationwide strike will occur due to “the lack of government commitment to combat the informal sector vendors, and to support and improve municipal services,” according to Al Alam newspaper.
During a session of the parliament last month, Minister of General Affairs and Governance Mohamed El Ouafa said that the government will not bow to pressure, declaring that “Moroccans are ready to eat only meloui if there is no bread.”
El Houcine Azaz told Risalat Al Ouma that “Mohamed El Ouafa’s statements are provocative; they make it difficult to calm the bakers who are angry.”
Azaz pointed the finger at the government, saying that “despite the rising cost of raw materials, the government refused to update the bread price that has lasted for the past 10 years.” He concluded that “representatives of bakers are still ready for negotiations,” according to the same source.
Edited by Jessica Rohan
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed