Marrakech - After publishing a series of articles on the use of technology in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in Moroccan classrooms, this article addresses the analysis of data collected with respect to student views on the integration of technology in classrooms, using quantitative and qualitative investigation methods.
Marrakech – After publishing a series of articles on the use of technology in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in Moroccan classrooms, this article addresses the analysis of data collected with respect to student views on the integration of technology in classrooms, using quantitative and qualitative investigation methods.
This article presents quantitative data on the approximate percentage of students who favor the communicative integration of technology in the classroom, in addition to qualitative description of using technology in the classroom.
Following each graph is a summary of what the data shows, a comment on the results and conclusions, and a summary of the findings.
The questionnaires were distributed in different Moroccan cities as well as on social media. The participating students (100 respondents) include those from Moulay Abdelah High School in Rabat, and several other schools in Morocco.
Results and Discussion of the Student’s Questionnaire:
Graph 1: How often do you use virtual games?
The graph above shows how often students use virtual games, which indirectly explain their attitude towards the use of games. The majority of students responded that they use these games in their daily lives. According to the graph, 70% percent of students stated that they use virtual games several times a week; that is to say, virtual games constitute a major way to pass the time for them. Another group of students, 27% stated that they play virtual games every day. This means that playing games has become a routine activity that permeates their everyday lives. On the other hand, only 3% percent of students declared that they never play games. From this graph, it is obvious that the majority of students are familiar with games, suggesting that it is important for teachers to consider using some virtual games that can help change their students’ attitudes towards games from merely a means to entertain themselves outside school to a useful learning tool. Teachers should help students view virtual games not only as a source of fun, but as a source of learning as well.
Graph 2: Are you happy to learn English when your teacher uses the computer in teaching?
The second graph exhibits the students’ attitudes towards the use of computers by their teacher in the course of teaching. In fact, the results that this graph illustrates are very interesting since 87% of the students expressed their satisfaction with the use of technology for teaching. Only 7% of students said they are not happy with it, and 7% percent of them were neutral. These results make clear that teachers should use technology in class since it renders the majority of students motivated and happy. On the other hand, the teacher should not neglect students who are neutral or, not happy with the use of computers for teaching. Rather the teacher should try to discover the reasons behind this attitude in order to help everyone be involved in learning process.
Graph 3: Would you like to use Skype in class to learn English?
The third graph shows the response to a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. 83% of the respondents expressed their desire to use Skype in class to learn English. On the other hand, 17% of them said that they are not in favor of using Skype in class to learn English. The high percentage of those who said yes suggests that the teacher should use such social networks in class, and let students communicate with others with the purpose of learning. However, the teacher should also keep in mind that those who say no should have the opportunity to learn through their favored teaching methods. Thus, the teacher should vary activities, and try to understand both what makes some students agree, and others disagree in order to change the traditional attitudes towards social networks of those who do not appreciate their use for learning.
Graph 4: Which types of works do you prefer when your English teacher uses technology in class?
The above graph gives us some results about the mode of work that students in a Moroccan EFL class prefer when using technology in class. To start with the great majority, 60% of students prefer working in groups. On the other hand, 33% claim that to work in pairs is their favorite way of working. Both these results indicate that students are aware of the fact that two heads are better than one. However, there are students who opt for working individually; according to the graph 7% percent of them prefer individual work when technology is used in class. Here we can say that all students have different styles in learning, despite the fact that the majority prefers to work in groups. An interesting result the graph shows also is that no student prefers the teacher’s use of technology. Therefore, it is clear that teacher should help students enhance their collaborative learning, and improve their cooperative skills.
Graph 5: Does your English teacher use technology for group work?
Graph 6: If yes, to what extent do you understand the lesson when the teacher uses technology for group work?
The two graphs above are interrelated so I will comment on them together. In the first one, the response to the question related to whether or not their teacher uses technology is equal. 50% of students replied that their teacher uses technology for group work, and 50% of them replied that their teacher does not use technology for it. Out of those students who said yes, 53% of them stated that they understand very well the lesson when the teacher uses technology for group work. This percentage shows how enthusiastic and motivated students are when technology is used for group work. On the other hand, 47% of them say that they understand well which might suggest that they still experience some difficulties when the teacher uses technology for group work. However, what is more important and a good result is the fact that all of the students reported that they understand the lessons even if their degree of their understanding varies, which is quite normal. Therefore, teachers who do not use technology for group work need to consider its integration and use in the classroom, and more specifically for group work. This will help their students become motivated and involved in learning, and will facilitate their understanding of the lessons they are presented.
Graph 7: What technological software do you prefer the teacher to use in class?
Graph seven is about three options of software that students might want their teacher to use in class. I included Word Processing, PowerPoint, and YouTube. These software could be described starting with the least interactive software, which is Word Processing, to the most interactive one, which is YouTube. Actually, 67% of students express their preference for YouTube as the most popular web-system they want their teacher to use in class. This shows the extent to which students are exposed to social networks more than other means of ICT, even the fact that some teachers often use word processing and PowerPoint in class. However, 30% of students claim that they want their teacher to use PowerPoint in class. Thus, it means that students are already familiar with PowerPoint presentations in class, and that they have an attitude that PowerPoint could be used for the learning in class. On the other hand, only 7% of them prefer Word processing. All of these preferences might reflect the students’ attitudes towards the software. Therefore the teacher should encourage students to use them for learning, especially YouTube, a technology that the majority already uses outside the classroom.
Summary of Findings
The analysis of the questionnaire allowed me to collate some concrete data about the attitudes of Moroccan students towards the communicative use of technology in the classroom. It helped me to develop some fruitful and valuable thoughts and information about the use of ICT in a communicative way for the creation of a better teaching and learning environment. According to the data collected from the answers of the respondents, the great percentage of students want, choose, or prefer software to be used communicatively. For example, being familiar with virtual games shows the interaction and the communication of students with the software that allows them to be more involved, have fun, and be self-motivated to play. This might be the reason why teachers should incorporate such games in class in order to make students intrinsically motivated to learn.
Also, students overwhelmingly chose cooperative learning. Additionally, students are familiar with YouTube and Skype as software that they use at home or in cyber spaces, but not in the classroom. Therefore, using social networks in class will enhance students’ communication skills, and will make their learning more meaningful.
The summary of findings offers the real picture of using technology in Moroccan EFL classrooms.
Edited by Elisabeth Myers