Rabat - Police across Morocco have been put on high alert in the wake of the terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of 22 people, including many foreign tourists, at Tunisia's National Bardo Museum near the country's parliament earlier this week.
Rabat – Police across Morocco have been put on high alert in the wake of the terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of 22 people, including many foreign tourists, at Tunisia’s National Bardo Museum near the country’s parliament earlier this week.
According to daily newspaper Al Sabah, Moroccan authorities have raised the terror alert level after gunmen in Tunisia killed and injured tens of people, mostly tourists, who were visiting the Bardo Museum, a popular attraction among tourists for its collections of archeological artifacts and Roman mosaics.
The same source said that emergency meetings were being held throughout Morocco in order to examine ways of strengthening and enhancing the security vigilance, adding that intelligence services are working extra hard to track “lone wolves”, the main source of concern at the moment for the Moroccan authorities.
Al Ahdath Al Maghribiya also confirmed the news. According to informed sources quoted by the Arabic-speaking daily, “firm instructions have been given to the various security services to take the necessary preventative measures and to be prepared to face any terrorist threat.”
The attacks on the Bardo Museum in the Tunisian capital also came one day after a warning message delivered by German foreign intelligence services to its North African counterparts, warning them against potential terrorist threats that could take the form of ‘dramatic hostage taking’, the newspaper added.
The so-called Islamic State terrorist organization issued a statement from its high command in North Africa, specifically in Libya, in which it urged its sleeper cells to take action individually, instead of moving to Syria or Libya, reported daily newspaper Akhbar Al Yaoum in its Friday, March 20 issue.
Commenting on the issue, Moussaoui Ajlaoui, an expert on strategic affairs, told the newspaper, “what is dangerous about this message is that it is likely to encourage lone wolves to perpetrate terrorist attack without finding it necessary to coordinate with terrorist groups.”
Moroccan Prime Minister and Head of Government Abdelilah Benkirane also stressed that what happened in Tunisia is not an isolated case, and that the entire region should be concerned by this threat.
On Thursday, March 19th, Mustapha El Khalfi, the Moroccan Minister of Communications and spokesperson of the government, told the press at the end of the government council that the government is aware of the danger, adding that what happened in Tunisia should keep us alert and on permanent vigilance.
© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission