Rabat- The terror attack that left 38 people dead in Sousse is considered not only a blow to Tunisia's tourism industry, but also to countries in the region with tourism-driven economies such as Morocco.
Rabat- The terror attack that left 38 people dead in Sousse is considered not only a blow to Tunisia’s tourism industry, but also to countries in the region with tourism-driven economies such as Morocco.
Moroccan tourism, which has been struggling ever since the Charlie Hebdo and Bardo Museum attacks, is preparing itself for a new decline following Tunisia’s attacks last week.
Speaking at the House of Representatives on Tuesday, tourism minister Lahcen Haddad said the number of tourists travelling to Morocco has fallen in the wake of the terror attacks, saying that tourists tend to look at Muslim North Africa as a whole and don’t make distinctions.
Haddad urged tourists to differentiate between Morocco and other countries, insisting that the kingdom is a stable and peaceful country.
He added that Morocco remains a tolerant country despite recent incidents such as the arrest of two girls for wearing miniskirts and a group of young men calling on tourists not to wear bikinis.
Haddad said that 2014 saw a decline in the number of tourists following the rise of the so-called Islamic State, with the biggest decrease was in the number of French visitors.
However, he added that while the number of French tourists dropped, the number of German and British tourists visiting Morocco registered an 18 and 6 per cent increase, respectively.
Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission