Rabat - ONCF, Morocco's railway operator, says high-speed line construction is now 70% complete.
Rabat – ONCF, Morocco’s railway operator, says high-speed line construction is now 70% complete.
The line was originally planned to open in December 2015, but delays in infrastructure work (redeploying houses) means commissioning is now scheduled for 2017.
The first high-speed train will go into service on ONCF’s conventional network by the end of the year before the high-speed line is completed.
ONCF’s CEO Mohamed Rabie Khlie promised on Wednesday to improve the punctuality of trains, network modernization, hygiene in trains and railway station.
He said that the high-speed train will carry up to seven million passengers in the first year.
The first TGV trains arrived in Morocco at the port of Tangier on Monday, June 29th.
Morocco paid €400 million to French company Alstom for 14 high-speed trains.
The trains will be comprised of two power cars and eight intermediate trailers, including two first classes, five second classes and one buffet vehicle.
The high-speed trains, which will operate at 320km/h, will reduce the journey between Tangier and Casablanca from 4h45 min to 2h10 min.
The installation of track, signaling, catenary, and GSM-R is expected to begin by the end of the year.
The fleet will be maintained by a joint venture between ONCF and French National Railways (SNCF) under an agreement signed earlier this year.
The remaining trains will be delivered progressively to ONCF by the end of 2016.