Rabat – Unlike what have been reported by several media outlets across the world, including MWN, Angelina Jolie, did not call for focusing media’s attention on Lebanon’s bombings following the Paris terrorist attacks.
Over the weekend Angelina Jolie’s Inside Hollywood Facebook Fan Page posted a picture in which it said that the American star called on the world to focus its attention on the bombings that hit Lebanon last Thursday.
Whilst everyone talks about #Paris no one mentions the #ISIS attack in #Lebanon yesterday. I pray for both countries, the caption of the picture said.The picture, as well as the Facebook page, which had over 2,200,000 followers, were taken down.
On Thursday, 24 hours before the Paris attacks, two suicide bombers detonated their explosive vests in a suburb in Beirut, killing nearly 50 innocent people, mostly Shia Muslims, and wounding more than 230 others. ISIS claimed responsibility for the deaths.
Jolie’s purported post was accompanied by an image of one of several bombings that have hit Beirut in recent years.
The image and its caption garnered over half a million likes and more than 19,000 comments in less than 9 hours.
Among the thousands of comments in response to Angelina Jolie’s fake post, one user gave a recount of the deaths lost to the warfare and terrorism.
“Yesterday 100 innocent dead in Lebanon Attack, 500 innocent dead in Palestine, 200 Dead In Yemen, last year 400,000 dead in Syria, 5 years ago 1.5 million dead in Iraq, Yet No one Says Word, The world Stands silent. And In Paris Attack Today 150 Dead and World Goes Crazy,” he said.
Angelina is one of the most influential and powerful personalities in the world; everything she does becomes newsworthy and she uses her fame and fortune to support some of the most forgotten and denied people in the world. The 40-year-old superstar fights to give a voice to those who are not heard, and she always does it in the most impartial of ways.