New York - San Bernardino Police Department Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed the death of two suspects involved in the attack that claimed the lives of 14 people and injured 17 others at a hospital in California on Wednesday morning.
New York – San Bernardino Police Department Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed the death of two suspects involved in the attack that claimed the lives of 14 people and injured 17 others at a hospital in California on Wednesday morning.
During the second press conference following the deadly attacks, Burguan said two out of the three suspects have been shot and killed by police after a high-speed chase.
The two suspects, a male and a female, dressed in “assault-style clothing” were shot at after fleeing from the SUV that was allegedly used during the attack at the Inland Regional Center. A police officer was wounded during the standoff.
The dead suspects “had several [magazines] full of ammunition fashioned to their body so they were ready for a gunfight should that occur,” Davis of the ATF said.
A third suspect, who is now in custody, was seen fleeing the scene where officer-involved shooting took place.
Approximately five hours after the attack, police received a tip that the suspects could be at a residence in the Redlands area near San Bernardino, where the SUV was spotted and later chased.
According to multiple media reports at NBC News resource center, one of the gunmen has been identified as Syed Farook and the other suspect as his brother. Nothing is known yet on the identity of the woman.
Syed Farook, who is listed in public records, holds residence in the Redlands, allegedly at the same address where the SUV was tracked. FBI agents are at the Redlands residence for further investigation.
Out of the 17 injured victims, 10 were rushed to Loma Linda University Medical Center in critical condition, and three others were in serious condition.
Chief of Police said a dispute had occurred at the holiday party where the attack occurred in the hospital and one person left the party allegedly upset.
Some reports claim the person came back close to the time of the shootings, yet police did not confirm nor deny the possibility of the attackers being previously involved in the holiday party.
All San Bernardino city buildings are on lockdown. The building where the attacks occurred as well as the SUV involved are being investigated for possible “suspicious” items.