Rabat - A Spanish judge imprisoned a Moroccan restaurant cook earlier this week as he had been preparing to carry out a terrorist attack in the European country, according to a report by the New York Times.
Rabat – A Spanish judge imprisoned a Moroccan restaurant cook earlier this week as he had been preparing to carry out a terrorist attack in the European country, according to a report by the New York Times.
Local forces arrested the cook, Mohamed Harrak, on Tuesday and presented him to Judge Carmen Lamela Díaz of the Audiencia Nacional, or National Court, for questioning in Madrid on Thursday. The judge video conferenced with Harrak and subsequently published a report in which she stated several reasons to keep him in prison, including his plans to recruit fighters for the so-called “Islamic State” and attack civilian targets in Spain.
The report did not detail the alleged plot that the 26-year-old is suspected of planning and the judge did not set bail for the prisoner.
Harrak had been preparing to travel to Syria in order to join ISIS forces fighting rebel armies and the Syrian military, the judge’s 13-page report said. As part of the preparation process, he had procured military documentation, undergone training and taken part in a continental combat simulation competition.
In addition, Harrak has been accused of actively recruiting on behalf of ISIS online with the help of fighters from the war zone.
The report also said the Moroccan had posted a video online exhibiting the execution of a British hostage and had called the November attacks in Paris “an excellent day” that “left Europe shaking. In January, Harrak downloaded an Arabic-language manual that the Islamic State has been using to guide terrorists.
The suspect had been under surveillance for two months before the police arrested him in Son Gotleu, a poor neighborhood on a Spanish Island, where he had been living with his parents and two siblings.
An investigation of his home and workplace found weighing scales and 22 grams of cocaine.
The Spanish government denied Harrak citizenship a few years ago after he had been convicted in 2010 for hitting his 12-year-old sister, local newspaper Diario de Mallorca, reported.
The local newspaper has published several articles including interviews from his friends and family, the New York Times reported. In the interviews, his colleagues and family members said he was an introverted basketball referee.