Rabat - The General Directorate for Territorial Surveillance (DGST) confirmed the arrested of a three-member terrorist cell in the northern city of Nador in Morocco on Friday.
Rabat – The General Directorate for Territorial Surveillance (DGST) confirmed the arrested of a three-member terrorist cell in the northern city of Nador in Morocco on Friday.
The cell had claimed allegiance to the so-called “Islamic State.”
A statement by the Ministry of the Interior said evidence suggests that the suspects had obtained information and orders from their leaders to establish an ISIS-associated colony in northern Morocco through a series of planned suicide attacks carried out via car bombs. The attacks would have targeted sensitive locations for the kingdom with logistical support from ISIS.
The Center of Judicial Investigations, a part of DGST, said the members had carried out a low-key reconnaissance campaign on one of their intended targets in Nador. The campaign caught the attention of Morocco’s intelligence services, leading to the suspects’ arrests.
The ministry’s statement sent that suspects will face courts under the purview of a public prosecutor once an investigation is complete
Over the past year, Moroccan forces have dismembered over 30 terrorist cells in the country.
Authorities arrested a nine-member cell last month said to be active in several cities and affiliated with the Libyan branch of ISIS.
Earlier, intelligence services arrested five suspects who intended to wage “jihad” by carrying out an attack with an exploding pressure cooker fraught with bombs.
Other sensitive sites targeted by ISIS-linked terrorists include Morocco Mall in Rabat, government buildings and business centers. So far, officials say none of the Islamic State’s planned attacks have been successful in the kingdom – the sole North African country able to make such a claim.