Rabat - According to the Harvard’s recent Research, animals have shown positive effects in deteriorating mental conditions of humans. Even from ancient times, some animals are thought-out as human friends because they share an emotional bond with humans and provide support in the form of companionship and love.
Rabat – According to the Harvard’s recent Research, animals have shown positive effects in deteriorating mental conditions of humans. Even from ancient times, some animals are thought-out as human friends because they share an emotional bond with humans and provide support in the form of companionship and love.
Nowadays dogs and some animals are used as a part of therapy. Modernization came with this benefit also that most of the diseases not only need medication but they also need emotional affection with love and companionship. These diseases can be treated by this therapy is called emotional support.
What is emotional support dog?
These are the dogs who care and show affection by giving their soothing company to a person who is suffering from mental and health issues. They are trained dogs, which accompanies a person as a companion helping that person from diseases like the psychotic, dementia, neurological diseases, panic attack etc.
These are usually categorized into two types –
- Emotional support dogs are basically for those people, who are suffering from some mental or health disorders like anxiety, neurological diseases, psychological disorder or anywhere the individual needs dogs as an emotional support. They are not considered in a therapy but ESA letter is needed for them also.
- Service dogs are medical trained dogs and are trained for those people who can’t do things on their own. They are usually trained for doing some special task. They are permitted for going out those places where other pets are usually restricted
Emotional support laws
There are certain laws under which emotional support dog is protected these are
Fair Housing Amendment Act (FHAA)
According to this act if a person has a disease, which is falling in Diagnostic and statistical manual mental disorder or needs animal support they can assist dog or other pet to live with them without any intervention of landlord.
Air Carrier Access Act (ACA)
This act allows emotional support animals to fly with them or any personal who needs pets under medically recommended conditions can take their dogs with them in airlines without giving any charges. You only need to have ESA letter.
In what conditions you can get an ES dog?
You can only get these trained animals in case you are having any of these mental disorders or where your doctor has advised you an animal as a prescription. Here is the list of diseases in which Emotional support dogs are required:
- Psychotic disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress
- Suicidal ideation
- Anxiety attack/ panic attack
- Mental retardation
- Any disability
- Listening disability
Is there any qualification needed for Emotional support dogs?
Yes, it is needed. You must have a written or printed ESA (Emotional Support Animal) letter from a registered medical therapist, stating that you have a disease which needs dogs as a prescription or stating that you are incapable of doing any of your daily activity or it should be dated on the date of the letter issued.
How Can I Register an Emotional support dog?
It is not a vast process. After getting your ESA letter (which must have written that you need a dog for therapy purpose), you can apply for registration process on the national service animal registry website. You need to qualify a test in which you have to prove that your dog behaves well in public and won’t bark unnecessarily.
Ensure following things:
- Your dog behaves well in public.
- Your animal is not disastrous to other people.
- If you find your dog aggressive. Keep ESA Dog away from another person.
- Your ESA is wearing logo band around his neck so that for other people, it would be easy to recognize them.
- You must have ESA letter for legal purposes.