Casablanca - The Islamic State terror group (ISIS) has officially claimed responsibility for the attack carried out at a Berlin Christmas market yesterday.
Casablanca – The Islamic State terror group (ISIS) has officially claimed responsibility for the attack carried out at a Berlin Christmas market yesterday.
Via the group’s news agency, Amaq, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack that killed 12 and injured nearly 50 at a Berlin Christmas Market on Tuesday.
“The person who carried out the truck run over attack in Berlin is a soldier of the Islamic State and carried out the attack in response to calls for targeting citizens of the Crusader coalition,” the Amaq news agency said in a statement.
German police had earlier detained a man in connection to the incident but later released him for lack of evidence.
“We have the wrong man, and therefore a new situation. The true perpetrator is still armed, at large and can cause fresh damage,” a Berlin police chief reportedly told Germany’s Die Welt newspaper.
“It is true that one cannot rule out that the perpetrator is still at large,” German Minister of Interior Thomas de Maiziere told ZDF.
Meanwhile, Holger Münch, the head of Germany’s Criminal Police Agency, says, “We have not found the weapon and that leads us to being in a high state of alert and obviously our investigations are ongoing into all the various directions, in order to see if there are any other perpetrators and if that is the case to arrest them.”
Berlin’s New Year’s celebrations are still expected to be held, under heightened security.