Rabat - 40 people have been arrested during the protests of Al Hoceima at the weekend, said the public prosecutor of the city’s court of appeal.
Rabat – 40 people have been arrested during the protests of Al Hoceima at the weekend, said the public prosecutor of the city’s court of appeal.
The prosecutor released a statement on Monday, saying that 40 people were arrested and had been placed under custody for investigations over a range of charges.
The 40 suspects then appeared before the public prosecution of Al Hoceima’s court of first instance, which decided to press charges against them.
According to the communiqué, 25 people were charged of violence and insults against security forces, armed disobedience, holding an unauthorized protest and damaging vehicles used for public service.
Seven other released suspects were also charged of insulting security forces, disobedience and holding an unauthorized protest . The prosecution dropped charges against seven further suspects.
A teenager among the arrested was sent to appear before a juvenile court judge.
Al Hoceima was home to clashes between protesters and security forces at the weekend following an arrest order issued against the leading activist Nasser Zefzafi, after he interrupted a Friday prayer sermon.
Zefzafi was arrested on Monday and transferred to Casablanca for investigation. He has been charged with“obstructing the right of worship” and “undermining state security”.