Rabat - London’s Metropolitan Police have reported more than one fatality in a van attack near London Bridge Saturday. Multiple people have suffered serious injuries.
Rabat – London’s Metropolitan Police have reported more than one fatality in a van attack near London Bridge Saturday. Multiple people have suffered serious injuries.
BBC reporter, Holly Jones, was at the scene as events unfolded and described witnessing a white van travelling “at about 50 miles an hour.”
“He swerved right around me,” Jones said, “and then hit about five or six people. He hit about two people in front of me and then three behind,” he said.
Jones added that she witnessed at least four people seriously injured. She also saw a shirtless man being handcuffed and taken into custody.
At one point, Jones spoke with a French woman who could not locate the two people she had been with.
At the same time, police were dealing with reports of multiple stabbings at the nearby Borough Market as well as a third possible incident at Vauxhall, location of Britain’s MI6.
According to a statement from Downing Street, “The Prime Minister is in contact with officials and is being regularly updated on the incident at London Bridge.”
Bus routes have been diverted and authorities have also closed the neighbouring Southwark Bridge as a precaution, until further notice.
Latest reports claim police are looking for three suspects, possibly armed.
Britain had just lowered its threat warning last week, following a bombing at the Manchester Arena on May 22nd which left 22 dead and 64 others injured.
22-year-old Salman Abedi, detonated a suicide vest just outside the arena, striking scores of concert goers who were just leaving an Ariana Grande show. Abedi was identified from documents and DNA recovered at the scene.
Back in March, a single, lone-wolf attacker plowed through scores of pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in a rented vehicle, before being killed by authorities. The deadly incident left five people dead.