Rabat - Morocco has decided to allow the Syrian families who were trapped on its border with Algeria to enter the Kingdom, said Royal cabinet in a statement on Tuesday evening, describing the decision as a “human” gesture.
Rabat – Morocco has decided to allow the Syrian families who were trapped on its border with Algeria to enter the Kingdom, said Royal cabinet in a statement on Tuesday evening, describing the decision as a “human” gesture.
The communiqué said on the basis of humanitarian considerations, King Mohammed VI has given his instructions to the authorities concerned for an immediate treatment of the situation of 13 Syrian families who have been blocked at the Algerian-Moroccan border for several weeks.
The source added that this decision reflects the “humanist commitment of the Kingdom in the treatment of migratory issues and comes during these blessed days of the holy month of Ramadan, month of piety and solidarity.”
“It is an exceptional measure dictated by humanistic values”, the King’s cabinet added.
Forty-one refugees including women and children, had been suffering in dire conditions near the Moroccan town of Figuig where they have been stranded since April 17, 2017.
Earlier this month, it was claimed by the Algerian media that Algeria has extended a helping hand to the 41 Syrian refugees, allowing them to enter Algeria. But, few days later, it has been uncovered that the information was a hoax.
In late May, the United Nations Human Rights Commission (UNHRC) issued a press release calling for urgent action to help Syrian refugees who had been trapped in the borders between Morocco and Algeria.
“Prompt action by both governments, is needed in facilitating the immediate and safe passage of the forty-one vulnerable Syrian refugees, among them children, babies and women – including at least one pregnant woman reportedly in need of urgent Caesarean section,” said the UNHRC.