Rabat - Berkane’s Municipality refuted, on Friday, claims by Moroccan athlete Hicham El Guerrouj that he donated MAD 2.5 million in order to support construction of the city’s slaughterhouse in 2009.
Rabat – Berkane’s Municipality refuted, on Friday, claims by Moroccan athlete Hicham El Guerrouj that he donated MAD 2.5 million in order to support construction of the city’s slaughterhouse in 2009.
Earlier this month, butchers in Berkane denounced the unsanitary conditions at the slaughterhouse where they work, in a video shared on social media.
Talking to the camera, the workers say that they could not remain silent knowing there are health risks for people who consume the meat of the slaughterhouse.
In response, El Guerrouj published on August 10 a post on his official Facebook account in which he expressed his disappointment and sadness over the situation.
The athlete said that he had made a donation of MAD 2.5 million and was told that “the
slaughterhouse would be built in the best way possible and that there are going to be the latest equipment to ensure hygiene and safety for the city’s residents.”
He said that he was grieved to see such footage of the slaughterhouse, especially as the city’s resident will be the ones to pay the price.
The city’s municipality issued a press release on August 18 in response to El Guerrouj’s allegations.
According to the statement, Berkane’s municipality and council unanimously approved the
slaughterhouse construction’s cooperation in 2009, but El Gurrouj did not sign the project
“We have not received the financial support from the second party[El Guerrouj],” explained the