Rabat - Morocco’s national security agency has confirmed that 11 suspected terrorists operating in several cities have been arrested.
Rabat – Morocco’s national security agency has confirmed that 11 suspected terrorists operating in several cities have been arrested.
The Moroccan Ministry of Interior issued a statement on Saturday shortly after online media outlets reported the dismantling of a terrorist cell in Fez, where two suspects were arrested and a quantity of firing weapons, knives, and explosives were seized.
“This preemptive operation once again confirms the dangerous impact of ISIS’s propaganda machine,” stated the Moroccan Interior. The agency said that the terrorist group had been urging its followers “to intensify terrorist attacks outside regions under its control as the grip tightens around it in Syria and Iraq.”
The arrested suspects, according to the release, were incited by one of ISIS’s field commanders to carry out terrorist attacks on Moroccan soil. The cell posed a huge threat, especially as one of its members is “highly experienced” in making bombs and explosives.
The operation was conducted by the Central Bureau of Judicial Investigations (BCIJ), Morocco’s anti-terrorism bureau.
The ministry’s statement said that one of the arrested individuals in Fez is the mastermind of the terrorist cell.
The terrorist cell, the released noted, operated in the cities of Fez, Meknes, Khouribga, Casablanca, Zaouiat Cheikh, Sidi Bennour, Demnat, and Sidi Harazem.
The list of seized weapons included three guns, two hunting rifles, live ammunition, butane gas bottles, blades, two straps for making suicide bombs, fire extinguishers, communications equipment, plastic handcuffs, and large sums of cash money. A car that belonged to one of the arrested members was also seized.
The seized material will be subjected to tests by the police’s forensic team.