Sweden and Morocco have led the ranking in this year’s climate change performance index. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia and the US rank last among the index’s 56 countries.
Germanwatch, the NewClimate Institute, and the Climate Action Network published the 2019 CCPI report Monday, December 10.
Sweden scored the highest in the annual ranking with 76.28 points, followed by Morocco (70.48) and Lithuania (70.47). The survey showed that the UK, India, Norway, Portugal, and the European Union were also among the top countries and regions with a “high” ranking.
Saudi Arabia, the US, Iran, South Korea, and Taiwan scored very low in the overall climate change index ranking among a list of 56 countries.
Saudi Arabia and Iran are the only two countries in the Middle East included in the ranking.
In addition to Morocco, the North African countries included in the ranking were Algeria, which ranked 44th and scored low, and Egypt, which ranked 21st and rated medium.
The index, which evaluates and compares the climate protection performance of 56 countries and the EU, stated that Morocco’s renewable energy projects and goals resulted in a high rating in the climate change ranking.
Morocco “has significantly increased the share of renewables over the past five years and has increased new renewable energy capacity,” wrote the survey.
The survey noted that with the connection of Noor Solar Project, “the world’s largest solar plant and multiple new wind farms to the grid, the country is well on track for achieving its target of 42% installed renewable energy capacities by 2020 and 52% by 2030.”
Morocco limits global warming
The index also looked at Morocco’s progress in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, and climate policies.
Since the energy sector contributes greatly to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of a country, Morocco scored a low GHG emission level.
Morocco hence contributes to limiting global warming effects in the world because it is one of the 56 countries and the EU which are together responsible for over 90 percent of global GHG emissions.
Global emissions of CO2 account for 80 percent of global warming, which scientists expect will climb nearly three percent in 2018.
The North African country has also maintained its high ranking in the Climate Policy category, said the CCPI index survey.
“While national experts observe some delay in the implementation of national policies, they acknowledge the consultative process of developing a long-term strategy for 2050, which among other initiatives could make the country a policy frontrunner on the international level,” reads the survey.
The CCPI aims to put political and social pressure on countries which have failed to take ambitious action on climate protection. The index also highlights countries with the best practices in climate policies.
The CCPI bases 80 percent of its evaluation on indicators of emissions, renewable energy, and energy use, and the remaining 20 percent is based on national and international climate policy assessments.