Several news outlets reported that the roundtable will take place in Geneva from March 21-22.
Rabat – Spokesperson of the UN Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, said that the United Nations is waiting for the final announcement of UN Personal Horst Kohler with regard to the second roundtable discussion over Western Sahara.
When asked if there are more updates about the date, Dujarric said that “there are different reports. Different people say different things.”
He added that the UN is waiting for Kohler to “line up all his proverbial ducks and get an announcement out.”
“Erol, and then we’ll go to the back, and then we‘ll go to the background briefing.”
Earlier this week, AFP reported that Kohler submitted invitations to the parties involved in the conflict.
While Morocco did not confirm receiving invitations from Kohler, Morocco’s state-owned news agency Maghreb Arab Press (MAP) reported that the personal envoy sent “similar invitation letters” to Morocco, Algeria, Morocco, Mauritania, and the Polisario.
Well-informed sources in Geneva recalled that the Security Council encouraged Morocco and Algeria and the other parties to “work constructively with the Personal Envoy in a spirit of compromise, throughout the duration” of the UN-led political process to ensure its success.
The new roundtable will be a second of its kind as all parties convened in the first roundtable held in Geneva on December 5-6.
Prior to the meeting in the second roundtable, Kohler is believed to have met with representatives of all parties involved in the conflict.
Kohler met with Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita in Paris on February 27-28.
Several Algerian news outlets rumored about a secret meeting between Kohler and Algeria’s former Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdelkader Messahel on March 2.