A protest about pensions in the Hague city was also cancelled following the attack.
Rabat – Dutch political parties have suspended campaigns for the Provincial Council elections in Limburg soon after a shooting occurred in Utrecht on Monday, March 18, according to Dutch outlet 1Limburg.
Limburg province is home to four municipalities in the top ten of “least safe” in the Netherlands, Dutch outlet NL Times reported in early March. The Dutch provincial council members are elected directly every four years.
Another rally came to an end because of the attack. A pension protest at Park Malieveld in the Hague ended at noon because of the Utrecht shooting, Police Union (ACP) chairman Gerrit van de Kamp told 1Limburg.
The Utrecht shooting took place in the Kanaleneiland neighborhood, home to a large Moroccan and Turkish community.
The police said they were looking for a Turkish-born man named Gokmen Tanis, 37, “linked to the incident.”
In an unprecedented case, the threat level in the province of Utrecht has been scaled up to the highest level. The Utrecht attack has “all the characteristics” of a terrorist act, according to the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security (NCTV).
A man opened fire in a tram in Utrecht Monday morning, killing three and injuring nine. The gunman fled the crime scene by car. Police cited a “possible terrorist move.”
Moroccan-Dutch people have been on alert recently.
Last week, nearly 100 teenagers shouting the name of Dutch far-right politician, Geert Wilders, broke into a Moroccan family’s town house in the Dutch town of Urk. They hit the mother and injured the daughter. Locals said the attackers were looking for the son who had “offended” a neighbor’s girlfriend.