The motive behind the killing of three people in the Netherlands is still unclear.
Rabat – Police in the Netherlands have arrested three suspects in connection to a tram shooting in the city of Utrecht on Monday morning.
The shooter killed three people and injured five others, said the police in a statement.
Police arrested the first suspect, Gokman Tanis, during a raid on “Oudenoord in Utrecht” on Monday, according to a tweet from the region’s police.
Police had previously distributed pictures of the suspect, advising citizens he was wanted. The police hunt had lasted for several hours.
The three people victims were a 19-year-old woman from Vianen and two men from Utrecht.
The three other people who were severely injured are a 20-year-old woman from Utrecht, a 74-year-old from De Meern and a 21-year-old from Nieuwegein.
Utrecht police announced today that the main suspect did not appear to know the victims.
Last night the policed reported that the main suspect, a 37-year old man from Utrecht, was arrested in a house at the Oudenoord in Utrecht. No direct relations have been found between the main suspect and the victims. #24oktoberplein
— Politie Utrecht (@PolitieUtrecht) March 19, 2019
“The investigation has so far revealed no relationship between the main suspect and the victims. A firearm was found during his arrest,” said a statement.
Several news outlets reported on Monday that the shooting was for “family reasons.”
Police have detained two other suspects who are under investigation.
“These are men from Utrecht who are 23 and 27 years old … the police investigate whether they are possibly involved in the shooting incident,” read the statement.
According to the statement, a terrorist motive “has been seriously taken into account,” but “other motives are not excused.”
The suspect of the shooting at the #24oktoberplein was arrested at the Oudenoord in Utrecht. Earlier the police published information and a photo of this same person.
— Politie Utrecht (@PolitieUtrecht) March 18, 2019