While the US claims victory over ISIS, a spokesperson of the terror group is promising revenge after the killing of dozens in a terror attack on two mosques in New Zealand
The self-styled spokesman said in a 44-minute voice recording that the massacres “should wake up those who were fooled and should incite the supporters of the caliphate to avenge their religion.”
The terrorist attack on two mosques killed 50 people and injured at least 50 more on Friday, March 15.
Al Muhajir also criticized the White House’s comments on victory over ISIS, saying it is in a “state of confusion and contradiction that make it impossible for any observer to know what is meant by the word ‘victory.’”
On Tuesday, March 19, Syrian democratic forces said they had captured ISIS final stronghold in Syria, although “isolated gun battles are continuing,” according to American media outlet NPR.
US President Donald Trump had announced the end of ISIS in Syria in February.
“We just took over … you kept hearing it was 90 percent, 92 percent, the caliphate in Syria … now it’s 100 percent,” said Trump.
Troops on the ground denied Trump’s announcement, emphasizing that it was “100 percent not true.”
The New York Times also reported that journalists denied that ISIS had surrendered all of its territory in February.
The Moroccan government, which partners with the US in counter-terrorism, also warned that the fight against ISIS is a long-term project.
The head of Morocco’s Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation (BCIJ), Abdelhak Khiame, said in December 2018, “No one should say that the ISIS threat has ended.” He argued that the war against the terror group will take a long time.
Khiame’s comment was echoed by Morocco’s Minister of the Interior Abdelouafi Laftit earlier this month in Tunisia.
The Moroccan official said that the fight against terror is a long term issue and the first action needed to stop the spread of extremism is to end its ideological sources.