The government spokesperson did not give details about the international “parties” that Bourita briefed on Morocco’s position in the Western Sahara conflict.
Rabat – Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita has informed the government of the recent developments in the Western Sahara conflict in the aftermath of the two UN-sponsored roundtable discussions in Geneva in December and March.
In a statement to the press on Thursday after the weekly government council, Government Spokesperson Mustapha El Khalfi said that Bourita had discussed Western Sahara with some “international players.” Bourita had reiterated Morocco’s positions on the political process to them.
The official also informed the “parties” of how Algeria, Mauritania, and Polisario participated in the talks.
Bourita also shared with the international players about the MINURSO delegation’s management and “some ideas and unproductive projects related to this matter.”
While El Khalfi did not explain which countries were the “international parties,” earlier this week, Bourita attended the Russia-Arab forum in Russia. He also concluded a tour of Gulf countries last week.
Bourita discussed Morocco’s principles in the conflict during an interview with Russian news outlet Sputnik and said that Morocco will not offer any other political solution outside of its autonomy plan.
“If the other parties had a real will, Morocco has presented its initiative of autonomy,” Bourita said.
The official also warned that the North African country not be willing to “continue discussions on non-practical and non-consensual issues.”