Police arrested eight other suspects for their involvement in the murder and violent rape of a woman in Rabat.
Rabat – Moroccan police have arrested eight other suspects for their involvement in the murder and violent rape of a 34-year old Moroccan woman in Rabat.
General Directorate of National Security (DGSN) has announced the arrest of the other suspects, who are apprehended for their invovlement in the case. They are also arrested for not helping and reporting the crime.
Earlier this week, the DGSN issued a statement to announce the arrest of the rapist, who appeared in a video assaulting “Hanan,” the victim.
The defendant used several items to torture the victim, including a hammer and bottles, with which he penetrated her while another individual filmed the crime.
After the rape, the main defendant moved the victim to a street in Mellah, Rabat.
A video documenting the rape went viral on social media, stirring a nationwide backlash and uproar to condemn the alarming number of sexual assaults in Morocco.
The victim died on June 11 after complications from the injuries she suffered during the rape.
The mother of the victim vehemently condemned the murder and rape of her daughter. She acknowledged that Hanan used to know the defendant.
She said that he used to threaten her if she refused to go with him.
“When I went to the hospital, I found out that my daughter is dead. I was at my sister’s in Sale and did not know what happened to my daughter,” she said.
She also asked for death penalty of the rapist.
“He used to threaten her. He has been sexually assaulting her for a long time. I could not do anything, he threatened to make a scar on her face,” the mother said.