Local residents claimed that the civil protection did not arrive on time which led to the death of the young girl inside the apartment.
The statement, quoted by Moroccan television channel 2M, said that the victim was playing next to the window at the time of the explosion of a telephone charger inside the room.
“Once there, the members of the civil protection worked hard to reach the girl, but they did not succeed despite the efforts made.”
The statement added that the girl was stuck in a fence placed on the window of her house.
Shocking videos and photos, showing the girl trying to escape have gone viral on social media. The posts stirred uproar, with people condemning the alleged delayed intervention from civil protection.
Saddened with the death of Hiba, eyewitnesses said that civil protection should shoulder their responsibility for the death of the victim.
“People went to their center, and some of the members of civil protection said that they still had to put on their suits in order to rescue the girl,” one citizen said.
Another local resident said that people have been calling the firefighters for 23 minutes without receiving a response.
The victim’s aunt said that Hiba’s mother was feeding her second youngest daughter in another room, when the incident happened.
She told Hespress that when the charger exploded in the room, where Hiba was playing, the mother took her second child outside to go back to help the victim.
“Women prevented her from entering the house as it caught fire,” the victim’s aunt said.
She added that civil protection members told people who called them that they could not help Hiba without wearing their suits.
When the incident happened, the victim’s father was on his way to the mosque for al-asr Prayer.
The ministry’s statement said that an investigation was opened to determine the circumstances of the incident.
Low quality chargers manufactured in China have caused similar incidents across Morocco. In 2017, several incidents occurred, causing the death of several people.