Rabat – The National Commission for Medical Students announced on Wednesday, August 28, that it has reached an agreement with the government after six months of protests.
Since March, medical students have been carrying out protests and strikes against poor medical training conditions, and the government’s decision to privatize medical education and services.
On August 28, the commission announced the signing of an agreement with the government that would end the six-month strikes and boycott.
The commission said that it signed the agreement with representatives of the ministries of Education and Health.
Under the agreement, it “was decided unanimously” to lift the boycott decision issued by the commission in a statement earlier this month.
Earlier this month, the Ministry of Education issued a statement to announce that medical, dentistry and pharmaceutical retake exams will take place from September 4-30.
The ministry also urged students to attend retake exams as they boycotted the first exam session.
The national commission, however, said that a march will take place on September 1 as part of the continuous ”struggle” to urge the government to meet their demands.
The students are now expected to sit for the retake exams and to cancel the September 1 march after the signing of the agreement.
The commission also announced its decision to hold a press conference to give a public statement on the agreement. The commission concluded its press release, by praising the efforts of all medical students and activists who defended the right to public education in the health sector.