The Polisario Front latest maneuvers comes a month after the UNSG warned against any violations in Tifariti in addition to other restricted areas.
The Polisario Front leader, Ibrahim Ghali along with military patrols and Polisario representatives met at a “national” conference in Tifariti, east of Morocco’s defense belt, known as the berm, on December 15.
The conference is part of the preparations for the “15th Congress of the Polisario Front,” set to take place in Tifariti, claimed as a “liberated” town by the breakaway group, on December 19-23.
In a speech to the attendees, Ghali threatened the United Nations and accused the Security Council of lack of “responsibility”.
In the speech, Ghali said the Polisario “cannot continue dealing with the United Nations endeavor unless the Security Council bears its responsibility.”
Quoted by the Polisario’s official news agency SPRASD, Ghali added that “after more than 28 years of ceasefire between the Sahrawi and Moroccan armies without achieving the main objective of organizing a referendum for the self-determination of the Sahrawi people, the Polisario Front confirms that it cannot continue to deal in the same way with the endeavor of the United Nations.”
He warned that the Polisario will comply with the UN if “the Security Council assumes its responsibility and commitment to implementing fully the provisions set out in the African United Nations settlement plan, which it ratified in 1991.”
With this move, the Polisario Front has once again violated the UN warnings regarding the UN restricted zones in Western Sahara.
The UN chief said that the Polisario’s representatives failed to “comply with requests by MINURSO to resolve” some violations.
In his report, Guterres emphasized that the breakaway group has not yet responded to warnings to remove buildings “recently constructed by Frente Polisario in various locations outside of the restricted area.”.
“A logistics hub consisting of 10 new buildings located inside the restricted area near Bir Lahlou, which had already been declared a violation in 2017 and included in the list of long-standing violations in 2018, remained operational,” the report said.
The document also referred to other new buildings in Tifariti used by Polisario’s army and the relocation of “security detachment” in the same region.
Other violations include activities in other buildings including the “unauthorized relocation” of an engineering company in Tifariti.
The report added that the Polisario Front has established five new observation posts in Agwanit, Bir Lahlou, and Tifariti, which are all restricted areas.
For the UN, the actions are classed as “violations.”
In its new Resolution 2494, adopted in October, the Security Council expressed “concern about the violations of existing agreements, reiterating the importance of full adherence to these commitments in order to sustain momentum in the Western Sahara political process.”
The resolution also called upon the parties to the conflict to “demonstrate further political will towards a solution including by expanding upon their discussion of each other’s proposals and recommitting to UN efforts.”
It also called on Algeria and Mauritania to “to make contributions to the political process.”
Resolution 2440 of October 2018 also called on the Polisario to “fully adhere to its commitments to the Personal Envoy with respect to Bir Lahlou, Tifariti, and the buffer strip at Guerguerat.”