The consulate has been involved in Morocco’s campaign to assist stranded Moroccans in the US since Morocco’s decision to close borders in March.
Rabat – The Consulate General of Morocco in New York announced on Friday that it will re-open its doors to resume activities on July 6.
The statement shared with Morocco World News (MWN) said that the consulate working hours will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The consulate will continue to serve Moroccans who are now in the US for tourism or business travel and keep them posted about developments regarding repatriation operations.
“[The consulate general] will be at their disposal to connect with them and inform them with all updates related about their return to Morocco.”
The consulate invited Moroccans stranded in the US to contact their office at [email protected] or call the following numbers for inquiries:
The Moroccan consulate in New York has been involved in the national campaign to assist Moroccans stranded in the US due to COVID-19-induced closed borders and lockdown.
In March the consulate launched a monitoring unit to facilitate communications and provide health and other forms of assistance for the Moroccan diaspora in the US after the outbreak of COVID-19.
Morocco recently launched its campaign to repatriate Moroccans stranded, who are estimated at more than 32,000.
The country has so far brought back citizens from Turkey, Egypt, France, the Netherlands, and some other countries in Africa, Europe, the Gulf, and East Asia.
Morocco, however, did not yet start bringing home Moroccans stranded in the United States.
A diplomatic source told MWN on Wednesday that the country will bring back the first group of Moroccans stranded in Canada on Saturday.
The source, however, said Morocco did not yet set a date when it will start to bring back Moroccans stranded in the US, who are estimated at over 1,200.