Spanish news outlet El Mundo reported that the four women lodged complaints against a supervisor on a Huelva farm, who was questioned by authorities last Friday for the allegations.
El Mundo reported that two women filed complaints with the Spanish national police while two others lodged their complaints with the Civil Guard.
Spanish authorities arrested the 47-year suspect on Friday, May 25. The suspect was released on bail after questioning.
The complaints and arrest followed an exclusive press report by El Español, featuring several Moroccan victims of alleged sexual assault.
In May, Morocco’s Ministry of Employment released a statement, announcing that it opened an investigation into the sexual assault claims. The ministry appointed a Spanish-Moroccan delegation to visit Huelva and to inquire about the working conditions of Moroccan farmers working in strawberry fields.
Following the visit, the ministry published a statement, denying claims that Moroccan farmers are being assaulted.
On Thursday, Luis Fernandez told Huelva Informacion that Spanish police are following sexual assault cases which date back to 2015.
He said that the prosecution office has only received four complaints so far, but they urge other women to open up about sexual assaults to contribute to the investigation process.
Morocco’s Minister of Employment has also called on Moroccan seasonal farmers to open up about sexual assault on Wednesday.