Morocco continues flight suspensions as part of the preventative measures against COVID-19 and the detection of the British strain in several regions.
Rabat – Morocco’s state-owned carrier Royal Air Maroc announced on Thursday that it will maintain the current flight suspensions until May 21.
Royal Air Maroc said the suspension is in line with Morocco’s restrictions against the spread of COVID-19.
The company said that flights from and to France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands are suspended.
The measure also concerns other countries, including Turkey, the UK, Egypt, Algeria, Cameroun, Republic of the Congo, Guinea-Conakry, Mali, and Ghana.
In March, the government suspended flights from and to more than 38 countries as part of the preventive measures against the pandemic.
The Royal Air Maroc announcement comes after Morocco decided to extend the state of the emergency measure until May 10.
The government and state-owned carrier announcement are in response to mounted feat and concerns following the increase in the number of cases of various COVID-19 strains including the more infectious British strain.
Earlier this week, the Health Ministry announced that it detected the British strain of COVID-19 in seven regions across the country.
Morocco also recorded an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.
The increase pushed the government to maintain the present night curfew during Ramadan, the night curfew was extended on March 29 for two weeks.
The times of the curfew will be from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., during Ramadan, which is set to begin on April 14, according to astronomical calculations.