Asmae Kabba, a social activist following the case closely and who is President of the Moroccan Association Against Violence and Homelessness, an organization that provides support to sexual assault victims, confirmed the postponement to MWN on Wednesday.
Kabba said that the investigative hearing had been postponed in the absence of one of the victims. The defendant is in custody of the Police in Fez.
The social activist added that the National Observatory for the Rights of the Child chaired by Princess Lalla Meryem will also join the proceedings as a civil party to advocate on behalf of the underage girls. She said that she hopes that the intervention of the princesses’ association will help speed up the process and that the defendant “will get the punishment he deserves.”
Hundreds of residents in the Fez medina took to the streets once again on Wednesday to stand in solidarity with the minor girls before the Court where the French tourist previously appeared on charges of rape and sexual assault of two girls aged 11 and 14.
Earlier this month, the defendant, who arrived in Morocco approximately 18 months ago and has since been introducing himself to locals in Fez as a “tourist,” was arrested on January 1 in a tailor’s workshop in the Medina after allegedly committing the sexual acts on the two little girls.
In a recorded interview posted on social media, the girls claimed that the 58-year-old defendant had been grooming them with money and toys, promising gifts from France. Their identities were concealed in the film as they are filmed from behind.
“When I refused to comply with his orders, he threatened me and told me that he would slaughter my family,” said one of the girls in the moving interview.
During the first hearing that took place on January 5, the defendant admitted to drugging and raping the two young girls.