Rabat - Hatice Cengiz, the fiancée of the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, has pleaded with the Trump administration to “shed light” on his disappearance.
Rabat – Hatice Cengiz, the fiancée of the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, has pleaded with the Trump administration to “shed light” on his disappearance.
“More than a week has passed since our last meeting outside the consulate of Saudi Arabia, before his disappearance became global news,” began Cengiz’ opinion article in the Washington Post. Khashoggi had been a regular contributor to the newspaper.
According to Cengiz, Jamal Khashoggi went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork for the couple’s wedding plans.
Despite Khashoggi’s opinionated criticism of the Saudi regime, he still believed, “The tension between himself and Saudi Arabia did not amount to hate, grudges or threats,” his fiancée wrote.
“At this time, I implore President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal’s disappearance. I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate.”
Following news of the journalist’s disappearance, many—including Turkish government officials—said that the most plausible explanation was a kill-and-dispose operation at the consulate.
Last week, in an interview with Bloomberg, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) said that Saudi officials “have nothing to hide.” MBS added that, as far as Saudi Arabia is concerned, Jamal Khashoggi left the consulate building moments after completing paperwork.
But the journalist’s fiancée said that she accompanied him to the Saudi consulate building, where she decided to wait outside, and he never came out.
“After seeing how relaxed he was, I waited patiently and full of hope. But after three hours I was overcome with fear and concern. I texted a few friends to inform them, and I asked about Jamal at the consular building. I received an answer that further fueled my fears: Jamal had already left, they told me, possibly without my noticing.”
She added: “This much is true: He entered the consulate, and there is no proof that he came out.”
Amid reports of a possible diplomatic feud between Turkey and Saudi Arabia over the Khashoggi case, Saudi Arabia has agreed for Turkey to search the Saudi consulate. Turkish outlet Hurriyet reported on Tuesday that 7 Saudi suspects have already been identified by Turkish authorities.