A primary facilitator set on ending the Libyan political gridlock, Morocco is calling for prioritizing political dialogue over military action.
Rabat – Morocco has expressed its commitment to finding a negotiated, lasting exit from the Libyan crisis.
Rabat is calling on all parties, including Libyans and regional powers, to keep in sight the “supreme interest of the Libyan people” and to push for a solution that would prevent the already severe crisis from further escalation.
Morocco’s foreign minister Nasser Bourita said Rabat’s view has always been that military intervention damages more than it resolves. He made the remarks while speaking to the press on Wednesday after a meeting with Jumaa al-Qamati, the personal envoy of Fayez el-Sarraj, the head of Libya’s internationally-recognized government in Tripoli.
“Morocco has been following the Libyan situation with great concern, especially in light of the military escalation at the entrance of Tripoli and the possible consequences in terms of human tragedy and damaging impact on the stability of this fellow Maghreb country,” Bourita said.
According to the Moroccan minister, Morocco has consistently believed that only a political process based on dialogue and compromise can bring back stability and restore faith in the possibility of a democratic transition in Libya.
“The military option would only further complicate the country’s situation and [negatively] affect the stability and security of citizens,” Bourita explained.
The “Skhirat agreement,” a Morocco-moderated peace process which has so far secured the stamp of el-Sarraj’s Government of National Accord and seeks to earn the trust of all the actors in Libya, has been touted by the international community, including the UN Security Council, as a serious endeavor towards democratic transition in Libya.
Morocco’s growing regional role
Echoing that sentiment, Bourita said that dialogue has always been the trademark of King Mohammed VI in regional issues. Bourita promised that Morocco will do its utmost to help convince all stakeholders that sustained military confrontations benefit no parties.
Also speaking at a press conference following his audience with Bourita, Jumaa al-Qamati, the Libyan envoy, echoed the same enthusiasm for a negotiated exit from the post-Arab Spring crisis in Libya.
The Skhirat Agreement, the Libyan official said, should be considered the only legitimate and credible framework to resolve Libya’s political stalemate.
Al-Qamati emphasized “the necessity to break away from the cycle of violence and return to peaceful means.” He explained: “The solution for Libya should be political, consensual, and peaceful rather than military.”
Acknowledging Morocco’s efforts with the Skhirat Agreement, the Libyan official said that his government is “counting” on Morocco’s expanding geopolitical significance and its “proven interest in the stability and the unity of the Libyan people” to find a solution and “play a positive role” in the Libyan crisis.
In addition to facilitating the national dialogue between Libyan actors, Rabat has also campaigned with regional powers to prevent actions that would fuel the crisis in Libya.
Last week, Nasser Bourita toured the Gulf to send King Mohammed’s VI message of regional peace and solidarity.
In a tour that saw him meet with regional leaders, including Saudi, Qatari, Kuwaiti, and Bahraini dignitaries, Bourita reiterated King Mohammed VI’s plea for joint efforts to uphold “principled” foreign policies on strong “bilateral cooperation” and unity around “the latest developments on the regional scene.”