The announcement comes after a statement from the Minister of Education, who recently called on the medical students to end the protests for final exams.
Rabat – Medical students will continue with a series of ongoing protests despite the recent call from Morocco’s Minister of Education,Said Amzazi. In this call, Amzazi tells students to end the strikes and return to class, stressing that the dates for the final exams have been decided and will not change.
The National Commission of Medical Students announced that the students will take to the street for another march on May 30. The students will begin their march from the headquarters of the Ministry of Health to the parliament.
The committee also announced that some medical students will boycott their 7th year internships in regional and provincial hospitals for two weeks, starting May 27.
On May 20, Amzazi said that the Ministry of Education has taken the necessary measures to make up for the time that medical students missed during the continuous protests. He also said that the ministry decided on the dates of exams.
“Those who will take the exams are are welcome, and those who will miss it should shoulder their responsibility,” said Amzazi.
The students have been on strike for nearly two months to protest against a range of issues including the privatization of medical education and services, the need for enhancing the training conditions for medical students, and the need for necessary medical equipment in training spaces.
Earlier this week, medical students rejected a draft agreement from the government. The agreement proposed by the ministry of health includes the “reduction of expenses and material costs for dental students.”
The draft agreement also proposed that “private faculties need to create their own hospital training space.”
The agreement also wants to “increase in the number of positions awarded to medical graduates in pharmacy and dentistry.”