A video documenting the attacks has gone viral.
Rabat – A man stabbed three theater performers during a live show on the King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Park stage in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on Monday, November 11.
Riyadh police media spokesman Shaker bin Sulaiman al Tuwaijri said that the security forces responded to a “stabbing attack on two men and a woman; The two victims are members of a theater group, and the attack took place during their live presentation at an event on the stage of King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Park in the Malaz district in the center of the capital Riyadh.”
Police arrested the suspect, who is an “expatriate of Yemeni nationality.”
The 33-year old man used a knife. Police later confiscated the weapon.
— Sotiri Dimpinoudis (@sotiridi) November 11, 2019
The Saudi press agency said that the victims received medical care and they are in a stable condition.
The sudden attack spread panic among the audience members.
Saudi news agency SPA reported that the police managed to arrest the perpetrator of the attack.
The motive behind the attack remains unknown. The event stormed by the suspect is part of reforms under the leadership of Saudi Crown Prince bin Salman.
Such events were previously banned in the ultra-conservative country.
Bin Salman pledged to ease restrictions to boost tourism. Among the major reforms that Saudi Arabia introduced recently allowing unmarried foreign nationals to share hotel rooms.
In addition, Saudi Arabia announced on September 27, updates to its visa regulations, allowing the entry of travelers from 52 countries and territories. The new visa regulations came into effect on September 28.
Female foreign tourists are not required to comply with the Saudi dress code provided that they dress modestly.