Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Middle East » Hundreds injured in Tahrir Square clashes

Hundreds injured in Tahrir Square clashes

mwnbymwn
Jun, 29, 2011
0 0
A A
Hundreds injured in Tahrir Square clashes

Hundreds injured in Tahrir Square clashes

Cairo, June 29, 2011 (AFP)

Bloody clashes between protesters and anti-riot police raged overnight in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, as new scuffles erupted on Wednesday amid mounting frustration with Egypt’s military rulers over the pace of reform.

Hundreds of angry protesters gathered in front of the interior ministry headquarters in central Cairo, burning tyres and pelted police with stones, a security official said.

He said the army had been called in to restore calm.

Witnesses said the overnight disturbances, which left up to 80 people injured, were some of the most violent in months in the square, which was the focal point of protests that forced veteran president Hosni Mubarak from power in February.

They accused loyalists of the ousted leader of stirring up the violence after municipal councils they dominated across the country were dissolved by court order on Tuesday.

Around 4,000 people were in Tahrir Square during the night and the clashes left between 70 and 80 people injured, the official said.

The health ministry said that up to 590 people were injured, including from smoke inhalation, and that of those 75 had been hospitalised.

Activists called for an open-ended sit-in in the square. The ruling military council warned of a plot to destabilise the country.

The April 6 Movement, one of several behind calls for a popular uprising, urged “all Egyptians to head to Tahrir Square.”

It said a protest to push for democratic reforms that was scheduled for July 8 “will begin today and a sit-in will carry on until there are clear signs that the demands are met.”

But the army called on protesters not to give in to “schemes” aimed at sowing chaos.

“The regrettable incidents in Tahrir Square… are designed to destabilise the country and pit the revolutionaries against the police,” the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces said in a statement.

The clashes “have no reason behind them except to destabilise Egypt’s security and stability in accordance with a carefully thought out and organised scheme,” the council said.

The interior ministry said a football match between bitter Cairo rivals Ahly and Zamalek would be played as scheduled on Wednesday evening, after the Egyptian football association had said it was cancelled.

Riot police trucks were heading towards Cairo stadium to prevent any clashes there, the official said.

A white cloud of smoke hung over the square before dawn as security forces repeatedly fired tear gas to try to disperse the protesters who numbered in their thousands, an AFP photographer reported.

The interior ministry blamed families of victims killed in the uprising saying some of them stormed a theatre where a memorial service was being held for those who died.

A security official said that clashes erupted and the families were then joined by hundreds of protesters who began to throw rocks before heading to Tahrir Square.

But activists said police beat the families who had been barred from joining the service.

“After being denied entry…. clashes erupted between protesters and security guards at the theatre. The police showed up and started beating the families of martyrs,” pro-democracy activist Arabawy wrote on his blog.

Nearly 850 people were killed during the popular revolt that brought an end to Mubarak’s 30-year rule.

Witnesses told AFP that buses unloaded young men armed with sticks and knives, and accused loyalists of the old regime of stirring up the trouble.

After protests erupted against Mubarak’s rule on January 25, the authorities deploying hired thugs in a bid to quell the unrest.

Tuesday’s clashes broke out just hours after a Cairo court ordered the dissolution of municipal councils across the country, all of which were dominated by members of Mubarak’s now disbanded National Democratic Party.

“I don’t think the timing of these clashes is a coincidence,” one witness told satellite channel ON TV.

“It came just after the dissolution of the local councils, a decision which I’m sure will make many people (from the old regime) very angry,” the witness in Tahrir Square said.

Television footage showed protesters chanting: “the people demand the fall of the Field Marshal,” referring to Hussein Tantawi, the head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which took power when Mubarak stepped down.

Protesters who first took to the streets to demand the overthrow of Mubarak, have begun to shift their anger to the ruling military council, accusing it of using Mubarak-era tactics to stifle dissent.

Picture credit:  img.ibtimes.com

TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has opened a bidding process for the broadcast rights to the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, known as “Pamoja 2027.”

CAF Opens Bidding for AFCON 2027 Broadcast Rights

August 22, 2026
Bayern Munich won the German Super Cup after beating Borussia Dortmund 2-1 today at Signal Iduna Park. The victory gave Bayern their 12th German Super Cup title. It also gave Moroccan international Ismael Saibari his first trophy with Bayern Munich.

Ismael Saibari Begins Bayern Munich Journey with German Super Cup Triumph

August 22, 2026
Amina Dehhaoui Wins Morocco’s First Medal at Taranto 2026

2026 Mediterranean Games: Amina Dehhaoui Wins Morocco’s First Medal

August 22, 2026
Morocco has retained its African beach volleyball title after Zouheir Elgraoui and Soufiane El Gharouti defeated Algeria’s Kallouche/Dekkiche A 2-0 in the final of the 2026 African Beach Volleyball Championship in Alexandria.

Morocco Retains African Beach Volleyball Title and Secures LA 2028 Olympic Spot

August 22, 2026
Morocco internationals Nahila Benzina and Hanan Ait El Haj have been named in the CAF Technical Study Group’s Best XI for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON).

Moroccan Duo Named in CAF’s Best XI for WAFCON 2026

August 22, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?