Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Middle East » Israel FM says Turkey “shut door” on rapprochement

Israel FM says Turkey “shut door” on rapprochement

mwnbymwn
Jul, 10, 2011
0 0
A A
Israel FM says Turkey “shut door” on rapprochement

Israel FM says Turkey "shut door" on rapprochement

JERUSALEM, July 10, 2011 (Reuters)

Turkey’s leader has “shut the door” on reconciliation with Israel by insisting it end the Gaza blockade and apologise for storming a Turkish ship sailing towards the Palestinian enclave, Israel’s top diplomat said on Sunday.

But in a possible reflection of disagreement within Israel’s coalition government, another official said rapprochement talks continued with Turkey ahead of the publication of a U.N. report which Israel has predicted will largely vindicate its actions.

In a speech to parliament Friday, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan reiterated his demands for Israeli amends over last year’s high seas seizure of the Mavi Marmara activist ship.

Israel, whose marine commandos killed eight Turks and a Turkish-American in fierce brawls aboard the vessel, has broached paying compensation but refused to apologise, saying its personnel acted in self-defence.

“It is clear that this person is looking not for accommodation, nor peace, nor normalisation, but wants to humiliate the State of Israel, sap its international standing, and harm our status in the region,” Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said.

“I’m surprised he didn’t also demand that we set the retirement age for women,” he told Israel Radio, referring to a recent domestic political dispute. “He has no intention of arriving at normalisation with us. He has shut the door.”

Citing an additional concern that the marines could be exposed to prosecution aboard, Israeli officials say they will go no further than “expressing regret” over the incident.

The overtures were made in several rounds of low-key talks between Israeli and Turkish delegates in Geneva and New York.

Lieberman, a hardliner within Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s conservative coalition, has voiced misgivings at the contacts. At the height of the crisis, he likened Turkey under Erdogan’s Islamist-rooted AK Party to Iran, Israel’s arch-foe.

Zvi Hauser, Netanyahu’s cabinet secretary, said separately Sunday that negotiations with Turkey continued and that he hoped a “redeeming formula” for reconciliation could be found.

“Improving relations with Turkey is an Israeli interest,” Hauser told Army Radio, but added that this would have to be balanced with Israel’s security concerns.

Israeli officials say the U.N. report will come out on July 27. Citing earlier drafts, they predict it will find in favour of the Gaza blockade and its enforcement, which Israel says stem arms smuggling by the strip’s ruling Islamist Hamas militants.

Turkey, which calls the blockade illegal and has often censured Israel’s Palestinian policies, says it would not accept such findings by the panel appointed by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and headed by former New Zealand premier Geoffrey Palmer.

 

Picture credit: israel.foreignpolicyblogs.com

TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Rodri Completes Move to Barcelona

Rodri Completes Move to Barcelona

August 18, 2026
South Korea Reaffirms US Alliance After Trump Reduces Military Drills

South Korea Reaffirms US Alliance After Trump Reduces Military Drills

August 18, 2026
Morocco’s reigning champions, Maghreb Fes, have strengthened their squad with seven new signings as the club prepares for the 2026-27 season and its return to continental competition.

MAS Adds Seven New Signings to Strengthen Squad

August 18, 2026
Ceuta’s government will revoke public housing contracts if residents are found subletting homes as flophouses for migrants who entered from Morocco last month. Credit: El Faro de Ceuta

Ceuta to Evict and Sanction Residents Renting Public Housing to Migrants

August 18, 2026
Ceuta Migrant Crisis Deepens, Women Report Sexual Harassment and Assault

Ceuta Migrant Crisis Deepens, Women Report Sexual Harassment and Assault

August 18, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?