Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » News » Petraeus knew quickly who was behind Libya attack: report

Petraeus knew quickly who was behind Libya attack: report

mwnbymwn
Nov, 15, 2012
0 0
A A

WASHINGTON, Nov 15, 2012 (AFP)

Former CIA director David Petraeus is to tell lawmakers he knew “almost immediately” after the attack on a US mission in Libya that US mission in Libya was to blame, CNN reported Thursday.

Petraeus, who stepped down last week amid revelations that he had an affair with his 40-year-old married biographer, is to testify Friday before the House and Senate intelligence committees on the September 11 attack in Benghazi.

Lawmakers are probing the attack on the Benghazi consulate, in which Ambassador Chris Stevens and three more Americans died, including two former Navy SEALs working as paramilitary agents for Petraeus’ CIA.

CNN, citing a source close to Petraeus familiar with his thinking on the issue, said the retired four-star general would “set the record straight and tell everything he knows.”

The former CIA chief will say while he knew “almost immediately” that Ansar al-Sharia militants were to blame, there was “confusion” about the assault, with 20 intelligence reports linking it to an anti-Islamic video.

“Those reports were disproven, but not until after he had briefed Capitol Hill. All of this took some time to sort out. That’s what he wants to lay out tomorrow,” said CNN’s Pentagon reporter Barbara Starr.

President Barack Obama’s administration is under fire from opposition Republicans over the inadequate security at the consulate and for giving a changing narrative about the assault.

The US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, has come under withering criticism for, five days after the attack, blaming it on a spontaneous demonstration against a film that had set off earlier riots in Cairo.

When asked how Petraeus might address that issue, CNN said its source suggested Rice may have gotten information from other parts of the administration, not just the intelligence community.

An outraged Obama on Wednesday accused Republicans, including leading Senator John McCain, of besmirching Rice’s reputation without cause and said they should go after him on Benghazi rather than just pick on an easy target.

Tags: resignation of Former CIA director David PetraeusUS mission in LibyaUS newsWorld News
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has confirmed that Moroccan international Ismael Saibari will feature against Borussia Dortmund in Saturday’s German Super Cup.

Kompany Confirms Ismael Saibari Will Play Against Borussia Dortmund

August 21, 2026
The second phase of the Marhaba 2026 operation approaches its busiest stretch before the end of August.

Tanger Med Warns Travelers of Late-August Peak in Marhaba 2026 Return Phase

August 21, 2026
FIFA has imposed heavy disciplinary sanctions on Argentina and several players involved in the confrontation that followed the 2026 FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and Spain.

FIFA Hands Paredes 10-Match Ban, Molina Seven After World Cup Final Clash

August 21, 2026
The shooting took place shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 16, at the Santo Stefano hospital.

Italian Officer Faces Attempted Murder Probe After Shooting Moroccan in Prato Hospital

August 21, 2026
Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

August 21, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?